The Junior Pinwheel Program is a new partner initiative that gives children, 17 & under in our community, an opportunity to become involved in the mission of Mary Lee’s House by participating in service projects!
We are happy to announce our new Junior Pinwheel project!
Courage tokens are a perfect physical reminder that can be carried by a child to encourage them and are used as a tool to help cope and manage stressors related to the trauma that they have faced. The child will be able to choose a token that resonates with them and can provide a boost of confidence or hope when they need it the most.
- This Amazon link has the required materials needed to make Courage Tokens. *Please use only the items listed on the Amazon list.* (Courage Token Supplies)
- TAKE PICTURES WHILE YOU WORK INCLUDING YOU WITH YOUR COMPLETED TOKEN – Send the pictures to us and we will post them on our website and all of our social media sites.
- Assembly Instructions:
- Roll dough into 1/4″ thick; do not roll the dough too thin, for it may break. Please refrain from using colors other than those listed on the Amazon shopping list. Prior research states that these colors help with trauma-informed care ☻
- Use a small circle cutter or even a bottle cap to create a perfect circle shape!
- Choose the word you would like to stamp and lightly stamp it onto the dough. Examples: brave, believe, hope, love, dream, trust, worthy, joy, etc. Please keep these words positive and motivating!
- Place the token on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 275 degrees for 12-15 mins. We recommend watching closely toward the end so it does not turn out too dark.
- Once you have completed your courage tokens, you can drop them off at Mary Lee’s House (2806 N. Armenia Avenue, Tampa FL 33607) on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday between 9 am and 3 pm. If these times don’t work for you, please contact Reagan Hering at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are excited to announce our first project for junior pinwheels… Making Calming Jars!
Calming jars are given to the children who come to Mary Lee’s house as a tool to help cope and manage stressors related to the trauma they have faced. By taking the time to make these calming jars you are helping another kid feel a little more safe and comfortable. If you have questions or are interested in making calming jars for the kids at Mary Lee’s House please reach out to Reagan Hering at email@example.com
- The Amazon link has the required materials needed to make the Calming Jars. *Please use only the items listed on the Amazon list. (Calming Jar Supplies)
- The YouTube link below shows a video of how to assemble the Calming Jars. In the video, you will see that you can use two or more sizes of glitter.
- YouTube Video Instructions
- TAKE PICTURES WHILE YOU WORK AND OF YOU WITH YOUR COMPLETED JARS – Send the pics to us and we will post them on our website and all of our social media sites.
- Assembly Instructions: (Refer to YouTube video) Fill the bottle just over 1/2 way with warm water. Add glue to the top and shake well to mix. Pick a color (Colors are listed in the Amazon list. Please use cool colors) Add to water glue mixture one drop at a time until the desired color. Add some glitter/sequins. Close the lid but DO NOT GLUE SHUT.
- Once you have completed your jars, you can drop them off at Mary Lee’s House (2806 N. Armenia Avenue, Tampa, FL 33607) on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday between 9 am – 3 pm. If these times don’t work for you, please contact Reagan Hering at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021-2022 Junior Pinwheel All-Stars